Apple iOS Security
Apple's iPhone and iPad are popular consumer devices and increasingly being adopted in the enterprise. This popularity combined with the sensitive data stored on these devices raise questions about system security and privacy.
AppMinder is a service that provides defensive protections to be integrated into Apple iOS Apps. The protections provided by AppMinder detect when an end user has compromised their Apple iOS device for any reason, or whether an attacker or malware has compromised a device.
For further information please refer to http://appminder.nesolabs.de.
Snoop-it is a tool to assist dynamic analysis and blackbox security assessments of mobile Apps by retrofitting existing apps with debugging and runtime tracing capabilities. Snoop-it allows on-the-fly manipulations of arbitrary iOS Apps with an easy-to-use graphical user interface. Thus, bypassing client-side restrictions or unlocking additional features and premium content of Apps is going to be a child's play.
As Apple iOS lacks some important security and privacy features we developed an App called Gorilla, which helps to protect you from drive-by style attacks and privacy issues.
Source code of Gorilla will be published on GitHub soon.
In addition to our tools, NESO Security Labs consultants regularly publish their research work on the topic of iOS and App security at a variety of industry conferences. This section contains the related presentation slides.
- heise Security Tour 2013 "Sicheres Mobile Device Management - BYOD ohne Reue",
Alle Jahre wieder: (Un)sicherheit mobiler Apps (German)
- Entwicklertag 2013, die Konferenz für Softwareentwicklung,
Sicherheit mobiler Apps (German)
- DeepSec Security Conference 2012, Pentesting iOS Apps - Runtime Analysis and Manipulation, Slides
- German OWASP Day 2012, Laufzeitanalyse & Manipulation von Apple iOS Apps, Slides (German)
- Heise Events-Konferenz "iPad, iPhone und Android im Enterprise-Umfeld" 2012,
Wie (un)sicher sind mobile Apps? (German)
- German OWASP Day 2011, Sicherheit mobiler Apps, Slides (German)
The following is a list of all publicly disclosed vulnerabilities within iOS Apps discovered by NESO Security Labs not restricted under NDA:
We are actively looking for security vulnerabilities in Apple iOS and help Apple to remediate or rectify our findings.
The following is a list of all publicly disclosed iOS vulnerabilities discovered by NESO Security Labs not restricted under NDA:
- Apple iOS OfficeImport Excel Double Free Vulnerability (CVE-2011-3261)
- Apple iOS OfficeImport Word Document Parsing Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- Apple iOS and Mac OS X OfficeImport Word sprmTInsert Record Unitialized Memory Vulnerability
- Apple iOS and Mac OS X OfficeImport Excel SHRFMLA Record Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- Apple iOS and Mac OS X OfficeImport Excel USREXCL Record Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- Apple iPhone OS and Mac OS X CoreAudio Stack Buffer Overflow (CVE-2010-0036) Advisory
- Apple iPhone OS AudioCodecs Heap Buffer Overflow (CVE-2009-2206) Advisory